View Single Post
      05-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #47
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I remember Overboosts fire. He was using 80% in his WW. Everyone thought it was a coil pack because it burned out the valve cover.

I actually had the same fire, but I was luck and got the fire put out before it did any damage. I was running 50/50 from the WW and didn't have any issues, but went to get my DP installed and wanted to do some dyno pulls after so I put 80 to 90% meth in the WW tank. After installing the DPs, we took the car out for a quick spin and it wasn't more than a mile when I had smoke rolling into the car from the dash. We quickly stopped and opened the hood to find the foam under the valve cover was on fire just above the turbos. I actually used my hand to smack the top of the valve cover to put the fire out. Just the shock wave from hitting it was enough fortunately. We took it back to the shop and put it on the lift. When we dropped the sub pan it was wet from the WW tank over flow. My assumption is the overflow ran back on the DPs, caught fire and flame went up the side of the engine catching the foam under the valve cover on fire. Today I won't run higher than 70% now and always have a fire extinguisher in my car.

I plan to change to a trunk mount and would highly recommend doing so for any new installations. I would also recommend a race approved fuel cell with foam. 4 gal Summit tank is only $100… 9x10x17in Just my OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I'd speculate that meth splashed over onto the turbo side of the engine
Appreciate 0