View Single Post
      05-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

So an update- I got a box of bumpstops in and worked on my fronts today.
I needed bumps for my e36, so I got a few different ones to experiment with.
Left to right- e36 m3 front, e46 m3 front, e90 (non sport=huge!) rear

Note: Might want to tell the wife what's in the box before you whip out one of those non-sport bumpstops....

Heres the factory e90 sport front bump beside the e36-

Really wanted to use the e46 front bump because it was a little stiffer than the e36, but the bellows didn't fit as well. Probably would have been fine, but I ended up going with the e36 bump.

Passenger suspension mount was seized!- POP THE CAP IN YOURS AND GREASE THEM. Its easy- Pop the hood, pry off the caps and add some lube-

PB Blaster, detail brush, brake cleaner, spin, clean, brush, spin clean...
Smoooth now...

E36 Bump in bellows

Cleaned all the rubber mounts, they still looked good:

No need to remove the strut, just tilt it over for replacing bumps (or springs)

Mounted at full droop

Here is how I pre-tensioned the strut before tightening down the control arms. Just let the jack down slowly with a block under the control arm. When the car stops moving down, and the weight is on the block, tighten the release on the jack. Always have a a jack stand! (yes I know its in a bad spot!)

The control arms must be torqued correctly! 50lbs plus 90 degrees. There is a great vide on youtube.

The change in ride was not nearly as drastic as when I cut the rears. I did notice that bridge transitions and other sudden jolts were less jarring than they were before.
"Somewhat spirited" driving felt exactly the same as with the larger front stops. I didn't get a chance to try the stops close the the limit- the wife doesn't care for anything over .5g....

I'm going to do my e36 next- probably cut the long rear stops to a suitable level and use the other m3 fronts.