01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #803
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
anyone ever did this service for their N55/N54 engine?? have a friend who's asking if this would be a good idea as regular maintenance.... i dont know enough about the turbo engines.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
This the very reason why I ditched my N54. This engine will not be a long lasting one. There isn't any defined maintenance for this, but if I was tracking my car, I would be cleaning the intake ports and valves once a year. Regular driving every 2 or three years. It's a bit of a bitch due to the some electrical components that are in the way when you try to gain access to the intake manifold. I tried and gave up, sold the car and bought a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
+1, this is part of the reason why I ditched my car too. Carbon buildup on these engines is quite awful. You pretty much have to do either that service, or SeaFoam.
Wooo les boys! Trying to sell a car here

Seriously though, intake valve cleaning is required for ALL DI (direct injection) engines, and that means your Golf R may eventually require this cleaning too Glen, ha ha!

While DI engines are quite the future in terms of performance and efficiency (better mileage) the obvious downside is that the fuel is injected directly in the cylinders, without passing through the intake valves, and hence cleaning agents in the fuel no longer cleans the said valves. Now, why do the intake valves get all dirty, is because all modern engines recirculates crankcase air (oil fumes included) through the engine to be burned, so as to minimize polluting the environment. Those oil fumes cakes on the very hot intake tracts. In theory, blown engines have more blow by oil, but this is not always true.

Only required every 50,000kms or so. You car engine lack of smoothness or lack of power will let you know when it's time to clean.

Appreciate 0