View Single Post
      05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #126
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
The issue here isn't with BMW, but rather with people that buy new BMWs (all of us for the most part). if the market will pay it, they will charge it.

If you had a company and your product costs $1000 to make, what would be the right price to charge for it? The right answer here is not 2, 3 or 4 k but rather whatever people will pay for it. If it is not enough to make an appropriate profit, change the product or go out of business. BMW like all other car companies spend a TON of money on market research. They would be silly to charge less than the market will support, and based on their numbers it looks like the prices aren't going to change much.

Now some things IMO are wrong here. Things like good headlights are really not something that I think a car company should try to charge for. Sure they are probably not a deal breaker when someone is buying a car, but I think that it will bite them in the ass in the long run. MB and BMW both have this issue, sub par lights on a luxury car standard is a mistake. They must feel that people will pay for the upgrade.
It's all individual taste. I personally would not have bought my E92 without the LED AE's. Some people could care less. More power to them, not my concern. Now, when I do see a bmw with the halogen lights, it makes me cringe. But then I take a step back and think "it's beautiful to them, oh well."

I didn't buy the car for the badge, but rather the look and feel. Immediately my critics badger me with the infamous question "Well, what if it had a Chevy badge instead of a BMW, would you still buy it?" The simple and easy reasoning here is that if Chevy can provide me the same product, same feel, same emotion, then yes I would buy a "Chevy 335i."

Sadly, I personally have not been swayed by any of Chevy's products, in the same way my E92 did, to purchase from them.

On the thoughts about BMW selling a subpar product in a market saturated with fierce competition, all I can say is hey, man's gotta make that dollar. It's just capitalism, can't do much ....except leave the country.
Appreciate 0