View Single Post
      07-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #203
chuckee98
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: = )

Just finished this modification / replacement and had a couple of comments that will help others planning to do so. The video DIY from ECS helped tremendously, and replacing the damper / friction gear AFTER placing the armrest in place was SIGNIFICANTLY easier. In addition, here's what I did:

Getting the pins out was not as easy as it was shown because every time I pushed on the pin end, the opposite end would flex. I used a large pair of channel lock pliers to push the pins out - one side on the pin end, the other on the opposite side of the hinge bracket. This made it easy, then I grabbed the end of the pins with the needle nose pliers as shown, and pulled them out. Using the channel locks to tighten the pins was just as easy.

Also of importance - I ended up using BOTH damper / friction gears, one on each side. This made a big difference in my case of how slowly / smoothly the armrest rose up when released. I ended up adding the second gear after I buttoned everything up, as I was not thrilled on how the armrest would pop up quickly when released. To do this, I just put some tape on a flat head screwdriver, sticky side out, and stuck the gear to it. I then carefully positioned the screwdriver tip and gear over the spring / pin assembly, and pushed the gear into place. No drama.
Appreciate 0