02-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyi3lding View Post
Possible Workarounds:
At this point, I have put together some ideas of how to overcome this issue. However, I have not tested any of these, and need to put up this disclaimer language: I cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do to your car

The only way I see to replace the cover on the AE area would be to relocate the circuit module to sit outside of the cup, and cut a notch for the wire to pass through to the outside. This cut would have to extend past the lip, since the gasket sits sub-flush with the rest of the body of the headlight housing. (see red box+cross hatching region indicating cutout)

The wires here do offer some flexibility here; if you're really short on length, it might be OK to open up the connector and extend it with another piece. (Not sure how advisable this is; anyone with more wiring experience care to speak on this?)

It's important to note that the cylinder enclosure is not sealed. The hole where the wires pass through are large, and would easily let in dust/moisture. Thus, I can't say I am 100% confident about this "workaround".
------------------------------------

So, all in all, a pretty big hurdle to overcome. IMHO, it's very risky driving around without the cover on, especially if you live in a very dusty/humid/rainy environment. (kindof a no-brainer) Running with the ugly stock halogens would be safer.

I've talked to HPB, and I have some 6W bulbs on their way; they do not have this extra appendage hooked up to the bulb and should fit the cover on without any issue. I will see if I can get some comparison (10W vs 6W) photos up when they arrive.

Let me know if there are any questions about my explanations; it's always a bit hard to interpret things when the physical objects aren't in your hands
Thank you for posting this. Lets say you cut a slot to feed the wires; Have you thought of simply adding a generic rubber grommet so you can leave the unit outside of the angel eye box? In theory, it should all fit, and not allow for any debris to enter the area.

As you know your vehicle comes standard with many rubber grommets to protect from debris entering and allow for wiring to pass through.

Right now that seems like a feasible solution for those that want to stay with that kit.
Appreciate 0