Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Just an add on the ONLY reason I would care if they made them in the US would be no more ED on the 3 series. But I assume the M's will still be made in Germany so I could go that route.
I don't believe they will end ED on the 3 series. As of now they already build the 3er over several plants. Adding 1 to the US will just add another to the list. Yes it will likely supply most of the dealerships on hand supply, but if you order a car to spec you will likely be able to choose which plant builds the car, it would just be your choice to wait longer if necessary. You're able to do that now between Germany and South Africa.

You have to remember the 3er is BMW's most popular car around the world. The X3, X5 and X6 are pretty much built for the American public so it makes sense to build them here. The Z is a more specialty car so it doesn't really matter where it's built. The 3er needs multiple plants to keep up with production and keep costs down.

ED will not end. They just dropped major coin on the Welt Center. To cut that off to Americans only a few years after opening would be the more absurd business move on BMW's part considering the 3er is the main ED car for us Americans.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0