05-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #228
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax View Post
Guys, what is the latest here. It is starting to worry me the root cause not being addressed at all by BMW. I cannot keep this car if BMW is not willing to cover this design issue after the warranty expires. I have never purchased an extended warranty and some are saying that dealer are not covering this procedure with an extended warranty. IMO, they need to recall and fix the problem or warranty to 200K or something. This crap about normal behavior on a diesel is not right, I have owned 5 diesels and never heard of this broad problem. This is my first BMW and may be the last if they don't stand behind their products. I don't doubt this is why this engine is no longer being offered in 3 series.
This engine is among BMW's best sellers and has been multiple times on the top 10 engines of the year list. It has been in production since 1998 with no major issues. On its new generation, three configurations are offered on 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 series, (sedan, touring and X versions) ranging from 255 to 381hp and torques from 560 to 740Nm. So rest assured the issue with a handful of cars in US is not a scratch on its reputation.
Specifically in US, due to low fuel quality, low driving speeds and high emission restrictions on NOx, the system calibration had to be put in a unique condition where carbon build up rate was higher than usual. The number of market incidents indicated the issue was serious enough to trigger a service campaign on it. BMW Also developed a specific maintenance procedure, like many other OEMs regularly do when a problem becomes cronic. Believe me, statistic tools are used to define this threshold.
I understand it may be annoying to drive what is understood to be a timing bomb, but tell me which car (or any machine) is not? Nothing lasts forever.
Each of us has a personal perspective and at certain level of disconfort will jump out of the boat.
On my case I am happy with the car, having loads of fun and only when something happens will rationalize to fix it or buy another toy. I decided not to lose my time worrying about something yet to happen (if ever). For the ones that can't, just sell it and go somewhere else.

Owning German cars is like having a supermodel girfriend: very expensive, their maintenance is even more expensive and reliability is never their shining side.

You keep them to have fun and show off!!
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0