02-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDeeky View Post
I don't want to start a war, but since I genuinely don't know, what kind of additional failsafes are available besides a FSB with an integrated tune like the JB4? I thought the PROcede operated on the same basic principle.
Hopefully we can avoid a war. The two approaches are fundamentally different in terms of tuning approach, methanol control and injection hardware. IMHO, the better approach is to use motorsports grade hardware to measure actual methanol flow through a turbine wheel equipped flow tube and not rely on a simple (and understandably inexpensive) device that assumes flow based upon the electrical load on the pump. The latter will not provide accurate and reliable flow information. Also, spray should be metered by a injection valve (and static fuel pressure) as you would a fuel through an injector in a basic EFI application. Not through a jet with a fixed open orifice by varying pump voltage/injection pressure. The latter approach limits dynamic range and provides too much spray (and poor atomization) at low loads. If you are going to rely on methanol injection in racing applications, I believe in using hardware that was built (and proven) in motorsport. This is why Aquamist exists and why we don't use any hardware that isn't designed and manufactured by them.

Quote:
Is there anyway to identify the root cause, even after the head is lifted? By that I mean, if it is a cracked piston, what caused it to crack, etc?
Knowing the cause of failure requires a keen and experienced eye. No one will be able to give you an explanation with 100% certainty but they can come close once they tear things down. By the sounds of it, the damage was done when you felt the hiccup coming out of turn 9. But at WOT, the high engine torque kept the engine turning over. Once you lifted off the throttle, the engine internals saw opposing load and finally let go. That's one possibility. But this is all speculation until the engine is opened up and inspected.

It will also be useful to read the fault codes from the DME. Unless there is a fuel injector related code, you can rule out a fuel injection failure as being a the cause of the problem. That's pretty unlikely IMHO.
Appreciate 0