View Single Post
      07-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
When I was recently debating a car change from my 335, probably top of the list was an e92 M3.

A few things put me off though:

1.) The need to use it for work, and the fact the fuel economy is pretty dire (not that you buy an M3 for this feature, but if I have to use it for work, I did at least have to consider it)

2.) My 335 was a 2009, and so inside the car, not a lot was going to feel or look a whole lot different from what I was already used to. Also, I was going to want a low mileage (due to the work thing above) which also would fulfil the CIC itch I badly needed to scratch, but couldn't justify cost-wise - and these 2 things meant 2010 or newer, more likely 2012 models which then become pricey.

3.) A few friends who have had both reckoned the M3 was without doubt a trackday weapon, but for normal driving they honestly didn't think it was ideal, and that the 335 was in their opinion the better daily even though it's not as quick.

4.) Purchase cost alone wasn't particularly a problem, but by the time you add an extended warranty (circa £100 a month), not to mention M-Tax on any consumable, non warranty parts, plus fuel consumption and perhaps insurance for some (I was quite lucky, as it seems now I'm an old fucker, pretty much any car I like costs me £300 a year business use!) it all starts becoming quite a costly motor to run and MAINTAIN PROPERLY.

Personally, I think you have to be very careful buying an M3 (or any other M car for that matter) - moreso for example, than a 335 - because they are not out of the question to purchase for many people, and in my opinion, you find a lot of cars...particularly the slightly older and cheaper ones, are bought by people who don't have the finance (or enthusiasm!) to run and maintain them properly. So they are ragged about for a year or so then something breaks, the current owner shits a brick at the repair costs, does it on the cheap and punts the car on. Seen it happen through all the generations (e30, e36, e46) so far over on our forum, and the e9x is now coming down in price to start falling foul of the same.

Not saying all e9x M3's are going to be like that, but you will have to put a bit more care into researching about a potential purchase to avoid buying a money-pit IMO.

Anyway, getting back to the question, why people would create and M3 replica from a 335i, I have no idea - like the OP suggests, it'd make more sense to buy a proper one.

However, as Steve has pointed out already, the 335i can be had for very little money these days, and the tuning potenial is massive- a lot more bang per buck than you'll get trying to tune an e9x M3.

If I was going to mod a 335i, I'd keep it looking like a 335i, but also rather than going balls out on just engine remaps, etc, I'd put some money into the suspension/geometry setup and having an LSD fitted - as IMO, what makes an M3 as much as anything else is the handling.

Something like that would, I reckon, be a worthy alternative to an M3, as you get the best of both worlds - without it costing the earth to maintain.