View Single Post
      10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #83
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

I agree that rebuilding can be a hit or miss. I rebuilt my mustang and never regretted it one bit. If you go the rebuild route you have to make sure you fill out a contract of everything you plan to get done, parts list ect... then you ask them how long it till take, then make them sign the contract with a list of penalties for not completing it on time, if nothing else is wrong with the car that isn't written into the contract. If they fail to deliver by the timeline those penalties will reduce your overall cost. I did this with my mustang and Saved 1.5k because he promised the car a month earlier. Their shop took on to many jobs and got behind. This was on a 4.6 engine. These are not easy and require very precise tools just like the bmw engine does. I spent a total of 6k, but got it stroked with forged internals, ported heads, cams, and a vortech install with a custom intercooler. It was a steel for what i paid. I also had lots of various little parts replaced that we agree'd on and a few extra he called me about. All these thing's were noticed with the tare down so its was just him saying, I noticed your timing chain was rubbing on your tentioners since im removing and reinstalling it all anyways, do you want me to buy new parts. I said yes. That does not affect the time of the build.

If you find a shop that say they can rebuild the bmw make them sign a contract. If they wont they have no intention to respect your timeline and know that once they take the bill and tare it down they can run you along for however long they want. This is what most shops do. Great shops will not do this.

Anyways, If it was me i would rebuild over buying a used engine. The only way i would buy a used engine is if i only planned to run the car stock, or with just a tune. Nothing more. You are obviously interested in a lot of HP and I highly suggest paying a little more for a rebuilt engine over a used engine. With full forged internals you will be capable of 800+ hp without worries if you ever decided to try and obtain that amount. Deciding between a used, vs rebuilt engine all comes down to your HP goals. If you can't afford to rebuild with ""Quality parts", then you obviously cant afford mucho HP. Then Stick to Stock.

At least with a rebuilt engine your engine will have a higher demand in the resale market with forged internals. With a stock engine, your at KBB and all that extra money you invested in it is tossed out the window. You will also have problems selling it if you cant provide proof of the exact mileage on the engine. If this was New then you would be fine, but when its used. You truly never know the exact mileage unless you were the one to pull the engine.

I for one would NEVER buy a car with a "Used" engine. To much of a risk with the amount of fraud that happens. Since the mileage can't truly ever be documented in a way to prove it. If the owner had pics of the car it came out of, with the dash mileage then "Maybe" but I'd still want well below blue book. I for one would buy a car with an upgraded rebuilt engine with documentation and would pay a little above blue book for it, Especially on a BMW.

I'm not saying you won't get bluebook for your car, but don't get mad when dealers low ball you and tell you that they can only sell it at auction ect... (without 100% proof of mileage, which uses makes it near impossible to prove) You will also get low balls from private parties. Just make sure that you look at all aspects, reasons for why you want a used ebay engine (or elsewhere) and what your long term HP goals are.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0