06-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #116
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Hi George

Great resource btw.. and thanks for doing this.

I just picked up a Mothers clay bar kit and would like advise on how to use it:

I had a bird bomb on my hood that seems to have stained my clearcoat (the poop baked for a day and the car was... never waxed *sigh ) When I run my fingers over it I don't feel anything, so its like a slight discoloration.

Second issue was the car was freshly waxed and was parked in an underground garage. I came back to see waterspots on the trunk from what seems like air conditioner drip from the ceiling. It's white and caked, I think it's calcium deposit. After washing I still feel the remnants, there's bumps.

I guess the overall question was.. if I start claying, do I need to clay the entire surface area (ie., the whole hood for the first part) or just the affected portion? Is my car going to be in different shades of color if I just go after the "damaged" areas?

Thanks in advance!
Good questions pokerface. For the bird droppings, some detailers will try to neutralize the bird dropping marks with baking soda and water mixture to provide a base to the acidic properties of bird droppings. After that, dry claying the surface. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest a chemical polish, such as Klasse All In One. Beyond that you'll be looking at a light abrasive polish, such as Meguiar's ScratchX as a hand applied option. From there you'll probably need to begin using a quality buffer and some abrasive polishes starting with the least aggressive polish and working your way up until desired results are achieved.

For the marks on your trunk, if you think they are calcium deposits, try using a mixture of water and distilled vinegar to remove them. If there are remains, follow the same process as you would above starting with the clay bar until desired results are achieved. Claying should remove the bumps you feel and the polishing should remove any discoloration that may have occurred.

It's ok to clay just in certain areas, but once you begin to polish, I typically recommend polishing the entire panel. To play it safe and to insure a uniform look, perform all the steps, starting with clay, on the entire panel you are working on.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out, good luck!

George
Appreciate 0