View Single Post
      12-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Blown head gasket?

While I haven't had any problems during regular driving, on the track my car vents A LOT of coolant then cuts power as it starts to overheat. The funny part is the water temp display shows about 80C which I thought was pretty normal. Eventually the car stopped accelerating and I got the yellow over-temp warning followed by low coolant. I let the car cool off during lunch and opened the filler cap. Quite a bit of air came out and I had to add almost a half gallon of coolant throughout the day. Other than that there are no stored codes or shadow codes.

The problem with this is the fact that I can only replicate the issue on the track which makes it difficult for a shop to troubleshoot. My theory is that if there is a hole in the head gasket, it really doesn't open up until it sees high cylinder head temps. Does anyone have any idea on how a shop could replicate this? Maybe it's not a blown gasket but a simply a trapped air the needs to be flushed. I'm guessing the only was to know for sure is a compression check. What do you guys think?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0