United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arorts View Post
Hi:

Today, I went to the dealership and asked them if they can add bluetooth retrofit for a '08 328i. I do have voice commands already though.

They said they can get me installed the TCU with all parts and service and all of it for about $1,600 total.

One of the parts is the Switch Unit Roof (I think it's also called 'FZD').

I'll check with dealer later but from your experience, if I only need bluetooth w/voice commands (I don't need BMW Assist), do I have to buy the 'FZD' component necessarily? (this piece alone is about $390.00!!)?

Thanks for your help.

-Edgar

I've had a lot of PMs regarding the FZD. The short answer is that the necessity of the FZD depends entirely on the level of expertise within your dealership.

Tischer claims to be able to retrofit bluetooth with only the TCU unit and sometimes an upgraded mic.

However, I tried that route with Savage BMW. They forced me to purchase all the parts within the SIB, including the FZD. I did not get BMW Assist by choice

I think the other successful retrofit that was posted on this thread required the FZD module as well.

The FZD module is in the low $200s through Tischer fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
I think you can get the Parrot kit installed with the steering wheel controls for less than the FZD part alone.
The only disadvantage I can see with the Parrot kit is that the caller ID doesn't appear on the radio display. It is spoken verbally through the stereo.

I'm tempted to just get the brand new BlueAnt SuperTooth 3 instead of any of the built-in kits.

http://www.n1wireless.com/BlueAnt_Bl...akerphone.html

That is certainly an alternative, but the reasoning behind spending ludicrous amounts of money for a seemingly marginal component rests almost entirely on achieving that OEM feel.

I also think there is more incentive for retrofitting bluetooth on a car equipped with iDrive because you can scroll through contacts and mess around with some other stuff.
Appreciate 0