View Single Post
      07-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
deandob
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 E39

My 1st post here.

I have a 2000 E39 M5 that has done me well over the last 6 years (bought near new) but its time to upgrade. Coming from an M car I would not have considered a 3 series as my next car (my prior car was a 1997 325i) but I took an E40 M5 & a 335 sedan for a test drive the other day and preferred the 335 as my daily driver (the new M5 is a bit too edgy and fiddly with SMG, paddles, 1000+ settings).

I was very surprised by the 335, it felt as powerful as my M5, yet more nimble and a good compromise of performance and luxury that attracted me to the E39 M5 in the first place. I really like the looks of the 335 coupe especially compared to the E40 M5, although I've only seen the convertible at the Brisbane car show.

So I'm having the same thoughts as the OP. The extra price is not an issue as long as I get good value, and the opportunity to do some open top motoring and have all the benefits of the coupe is too much to pass on.

Here is what I've been thinking about for the comparison, and it would be great to get feedback from others who have these cars or have been able to compare them. My dealer does not have a convertible to test drive at this stage.

Considerations:
- What is the handling differences between the coupe and convertible? The convertible is definitely a heavier car but it should also have a lower centre of gravity especially with the roof down. I can't find a performance orientated review of the convertible to understand if it is the same or worse as the coupe (unlikely to be better). I'll buy it with the optional 19" rims.

- I like the option of adding a piggyback ECU to gain another 20-30% or so power/torque. This should negate the extra weight of the convertible and give me close to E40 M5 performance, heaps for a daily driver car and fun to boot!

- Why not wait for a M3? I think the new M3 will be like the new M5, more suited to a track, and not as good value as the 335.

- The option of having a convertible and coupe is 2 cars in 1, and should be lots of fun if it performs well in the power/handling dept.

- There is a long wait for the convertible. I also think it will be harder to negotiate a discount as these cars are in demand. The positive side is that the resale should be better on the convertible. Any experiences on dealer flexibility on convertible discounts & delivery times?

- Reduced rear space / boot space is not an issue, as I have 3 kids and have only had the whole family in my M5 maybe 5 times total, as my wife has a 5 seater (Merc B class turbo).

Regards,
Dean
Appreciate 0