01-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #24
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeinoneboy
I looked at this package. They come with style 158.

I bought style 188 and Michelin Artic Alpine II (Non-RFT)
I am shopping for 17" wheels and winter tires to put on them. In looking at tirerack.com what I liked best within a reasonable price range was a set of Borbet Type TS with Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S SSR. I just haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on this yet.

What I found of the 17" oem wheels that I like best are V-Spoke Style 188. The dealership is closed on Sunday so I can't ask them whether they can get these for me in the US. If the dealerships can't get them, how can I?

Thursday morning the drive to work convinced me that I must get a winter setup NOW, not next fall. It was about 15 degrees F (-9C). There was a little snow (maybe 2"). These Bridgestone Potenzas had the worst traction I have ever experienced in snow. I enabled DTC. DSC came on every time I started from a stop or needed to accelerate. I drove very carefully, yet at a four-way stop I slid to a stop. Going slow around one of the last corners (no more than 10 mph) before getting to my workplace, I had no steering control and was somewhat sideways in the oncoming lane. Once I was nearly stopped I was able to go again. Slowly. The only traffic was behind me, so there was no great danger there.

We don't get snow very much here, and when it does snow, the avenues are usually clear and dry by the next day. Even so, I am sure I have to get a winter wheel setup.

This is not just my bimmer. My wife's RX8 also is running on Bridgestone Potenzas. She had to get help to push her car to get going in the school parking lot. She didn't make it to work that day until she tried again about noon.

I think it is a fair conclusion to state that summer performance tires don't belong on the snow in sub-freezing weather.

Can I get the oem Style 188 wheels in the US? How? Price? I'll still have to see if there are any appropriate runflat tires that can go on these.