02-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized
Let's face it, the maintenance plan is a profitable business as is the car. It would have been never offered if it would not be beneficial for BMW. They always call the shots. I have had two types of coverage so far -- from BMW and aftermarket -- for both, the shots are called by BMW.

My e92 coupe's window was kind of letting in some air sneak in at high speeds, creating this annoying whistle. Took it in -- was quoted 350 just to check the window out. I had coverage, so I agreed. They told me eventually that the window was not BMW OEM (my car was used) ... and that they needed to replace the window and go from there. And by the way, because someone "fiddled" with it -- NO COVERAGE. Sucked ~800 bucks from me... whistle never went away. Later got it fixed at a local shop for 120 bucks. It was the actuator's pad that was loose.

Recently my battery light and rear brake light went off. Took it in, they said they needed to replace the battery, change the bulb. Was quoted 1260 -- yes, 1260. Out of which only 630 was covered for many long and windy reasons. If I chose to put in a battery myself -- all electronics warranty will then fall in hot water.

Yes, you get peace of mind. But get badly ripped off. I would rather put that 2000 bucks in an emergency maintenance account that bears interest or something. Then use it if something major happens. I am 99% sure that you will have most of that 2K in your account at 100K miles if you take care of your car properly.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing the story. That's CRAZY that they charged you that much for the battery and tail light. I think I'm leaning more towards the emergency maintenance savings right now. Also, I drive about 90 miles a week, 360 miles a month, 4,300 miles a year. What are your thoughts judging from my mileage?
Appreciate 0