View Single Post
      11-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

There are options, including for RFTs. You will need new rims but honestly there is no point in owning winter tires without rims for them. It's really hard on your tires and rims to have them swapped out twice per year.

Go to tirerack.com, order up a set of 17" wheels with the Bridgestone LM-25, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP, or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat tires. All are available in the correct size (225/45/17) and all are good RFT winter tires.

It will cost you slightly more up front than just buying the tires but will quickly pay for itself since you will be able to change your own tires, or even get it done at a shop for far less money than having the tires removed from the rims, new tires put on, and balanced.

I personally picked the Dunlops. I read good things about them and I am not disappointed. The don't grip quite as well as the X-Ice tires I had before but it's really close.

I considered buying non RFTs and getting a spare, but if I am ever travelling it would just take up too much space to carry the spare.
Appreciate 0