rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
VMR V715 owners beware

Just thought I'd inform everyone of the issue I'm having with my VMR 715's that I just had powdercoated...

I bought the wheels roughly 6 months ago, and had only been on the car for maybe 3,000 miles before I decided to powdercoat. They were just finished and I installed them on the car a little over a week ago. Within 3 or 4 days I noticed an odd crease about 5 inches long, along with a few dimples all around the lip of the driver side rear wheel. I avoid potholes and didn't hit anything that would have caused this (I'm at work - will post up pics later).

To make a long story short(er), I contacted VMR and they basically told me that the V715 is not safe to powdercoat, as the lip is a stainless press-on. Apparently, powdercoating is bad for these as the heating process makes the lip brittle and weak and susceptible to bending. Awesome. Glad I spent all that money on wheels and powdercoat - all for naught.

So I'm chalking it up as a lesson learned. As they say, you get what you pay for. VMR wheels will never be on any car I own ever again. I got sucked in because of the attractive pricing, and the fact that I like lipped wheels. The powder guy I used is very reputable and I'm sure his process is legit.

My conclusion - VMR wheels are crap. Beware! If there are any V715 owners out there considering powdercoat... DON'T DO IT!

Last edited by rdub315; 06-02-2012 at 07:45 AM.