United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
The Rest of the Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPritchett
An ongoing story at this point: I took my car (build date 05/06) in Tuesday 12/26 0815AM to get an iPod adapter installed. (Christmas present for myself) ,,, If the new ECU is delivered tomorrow, and I get MY car back, I will post the results. If not:mad: , I'll be out putting more miles on that loaner.
I finally got my car back on Tuesday, 1/2, a week after I dropped it off. It turns out that the ECU was never the problem. Rather the instructions failed to mention the two wires that needed to be reversed when the iPod adapter is installed. In the install process, the tech dropped a screwdriver on my center console and they ordered a new one to replace it, but the initial part was wrong so they had to reorder, and, since I had a loaner, I let them keep my car over New Years weekend.

So I put 290 miles on my loaner (2007 X3) in a week. The price for the install was $200. [everything else -- new ECU, center console, programming was free] It works pretty much exactly as described elsewhere in the forum. I especially like not having to dig into the center armrest to turn it on or change a track. You can control it using the steering wheel buttons too. My son, who is an Acura TL man, and therefore not automatically impressed with all things BMW says he likes it.

Cons in my opinion include 1) slow loading menu's 2) inability to speed scroll thru lists 3) playing the first item in a category automatically, making you select back to get the menu (just because I've gone to the 'Artist' menu doesn't mean I want to play the first track there) and 4) the CD-01, 02, 03 etc heirarchy itself, which correspond to the menu items on the iPod. (Although eventually I will just know without thinking which is genre, artist, all songs, etc and this will be less of an issue).

So, even though it took a WHOLE lot longer than anyone thought, at the end of the story I am pleased with end result.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0