Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
So, I just dropped off my Z at the dealer today. He didn't ask me much questions. I called them up, asked for one of the SAs by name. He was recommended to me by one of the local BMWCCA members and member of bimmerpost. I told him I bought the car at his dealer last august, I've got the N52 motor and it ticks intermittently. That was it. I didn't have to produce a video of the car ticking or anything like that at all.

I asked him what they were going to do and how long it would take. All he said was that they would have to open it up and look at the numbers. I assume he was referring to the cylinder head casting numbers. So, it looks like the dealer will stick to the January 2009 TSB and skip the oil bleeding technique and go straight to replacing the lifters.

As someone else has mentioned here, I haven't been able to find a TSB as well regarding the replacement of the cylinder heads. Will I need to have the cylinder heads replaced as well? Who knows? From perusing through the thread, it looks like cylinder head replacement is inevitable.