View Single Post
      05-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamE92 View Post
So I took my car in a couple days ago after getting a series of long cranks for the past 3 months. Of course the "dealer couldnt replicate the problem" even though I showed them a video of my car doing a 3 second hesitant crank. So they kept the car for 2 days and "couldnt replicate it... but it wont leave you stranded so dont worry". Got the software update and everything.

ON THE SIDE - the SA said "off the record there - seems to be some tampering with codes, and when theres tampering with the codes it alerts BMW in Germany". His words not mine. He mentioned that should there be warranty issues in the future, I might have trouble getting coverage because of this.

So heres my history: Put a JB+ on last november, threw a 2D18 code at 75%. Took it off for a while and threw it back on in Feb, threw a 2D18 code at default settings. Took it off. Cleared ALL the codes, and have been running it without since I started getting the long cranks.

Took it in for its 15k service and now this.

Just a heads up - just because you have a code clearing tool doesnt mean you're safe anymore!

in before gotta pay to play etc.

Just a heads up guys.

As a sidenote, I have BMW assist and all the goodies. Practically every option in the book aside from the stupid ones.
I can 2nd this experience, I went in for service about 3 months ago and the tech KNEW I was messing around with code clearing. After this they applied tamper proof paint to my ECU box....There is something else up with the BMW ECU we are not aware of.

Lucky for me, I found the paint they used and just re-apply everytime I go in for service

If anything the paint is a blessing in disguise, as they do a visual inspection on the outside and don't bother opening the ECU box.
Appreciate 0