View Single Post
      02-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #21
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD
By mounting as high as possible you are making laser detection less likely. A good compromise is about half way up the windsheild.

Laser is line of sight. Radar is not. It reflects off objects. That is why a good radar detector will warn you of a radar car around corners, over hills, even behind you as it bounces off cars in front of you.
I don't want to argue but I think that the disagreement between Steve and myself deserves a response. A visit to the Valentine Research web site will allow one to verify my assertion that radar is line of sight an that the great grand guru of radar protection reccomends high mounting. Steve is correct that radar waves bounce off hills, billboards, clouds, etc. However, they do not follow the curvature of the earth hence the term line of sight.

Steve is correct (earlier post) that a laser detector would be more effective in advising a motorist that he/she had been tagged if it were mounted closer to the aiming point. However, police officers sometimes don't aim as well as they would like and it is occasionally possible to pick up a laser alert aimed at someone else. This is moot from a practical standpoint as laser "protection" is more a marketing tool than anything else.
Appreciate 0