View Single Post
      07-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

i think the wash and restaurant is a bad idea personally. The way to make money imho is to be very, very good at any one thing, even if that is a janitorial company. These fusion things never really struck me as being strong long term business models. Either be an excellent car wash, no matter how much you charge, there is always clientele that will pay, or, probably the more competitive of the two, be an excellent restaurant. But I don't think you'll be taken seriously for either one if you mix the two. Just my .02.

As far as other ideas, since you intend to be an IT consultant, I think it may be prudent to get into another unrelated industry, so incase the tech industry falls, you have spread your risk to another industry. Since you won't want to spend all the time learning the business concepts and operational procedures, I think your best bet may be to look into a successful (or up and coming, positive outlook) franchise. I know several people that have been able to manage their day job and have a small franchise on the side netting them anywhere from 80k per year to 200k. I know a guy, 35, who, about 8 years ago was living in Colorado, he took a copy of a magazine that lists all the franchises, and studied from the hundreds of options from food places like subway to marble slabs massage parlors, tax services, etc. And he decided on Jackson Hewitt. He never had a solid academic background, but he chose this, moved to Houston, and today he owns I believe 12 Jackson Hewitt centers (believe it or not, the ghetto areas are best (and low rental values to boot) because blue collar people don't have their own CPA's, and don't need it, and they do a lot of cash business, particularly Hispanics). Long story short, he works 4 months of the year and nets over $500k per year. I know another guy who has 40 subways restaurants in Houston (started with one, and now macro manages and has regional managers, etc.) He doesn't go to work, he has a ton of free time and he just built a $4 milllion dollar mansion. Very rich guy....
Appreciate 0