View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #54
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

SSD vs Q. Well the Q I would class as a super sub, so falls into the category of W7s and the like. Though it has balls, big balls. In my experience it will handle way more power and abuse that the W7 ever could. From an SQ point of view, there both a little different. JL spent alot of time and money trying to produce a near flat BL vs Xmax curve, much like how the RE XXX was. Linearity. It comes at a cost of low motor force and a slightly neutral sound, i.e. lacking warmth. Some people like it and no matter what you do there ears have trouble adjusting to it or out of it.

The Q is a parabolic curve driver, therefore its based on having high excursion and big motor force. However the motor will peak, so you'll have on paper more 'distortion'. But to the trained ear that simply means more warmth and smoothness. The Q though is all that and extremely articulate. Its infact our best selling HT (Home Theatre) driver, along with the IB3s.

The SSD is like a baby Q, so less power handling/motor force. Its a solid sub with a fantastic SQ.

Choose the sub which most fits the power you have available, and that works around your budget.

IB might not be for everyone but from an SQ point of view its the ultimate choice. SPL is compromised but sub bass is incredible, as low as 18Hz and very audiable at that. Making a sealed driver do this is not impossible with some EQ'ing applied but thats what we would call being 'coloured' so not true to the source.

Discount wise, i'm not sure this is the right place to discuss it as clearly could come across as breaking the rules. Though feel free to contact me through the right channels and i'll see what I can do.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0