02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #107
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Big difference between stock suspension on an I which may have the sport suspension and the stock suspension on the xi which doesn't have the sport option and sits about 2 inches higher. Sounds like your comparison was the rwd since you said plenty of single turbos with stock suspension and this is your first awd single. So let's not mislead and claim the awd suspension is equivalent to the sport I suspension. Just saying and good work on getting the single to fit the xi.
I don't think anyone was misleading anyone. The stock xi suspension is a fine suspension. it's been optimized for comfort with some amount of sporting intention. It can be improved upon like any other stock suspension that is built to a budget to cover the needs of most people.

What I find particularly misleading is when people suggest that X amount of power REQUIRES (for the sake of safety) an upgraded suspension. If safety is the concern, driver education/performance driving courses should be first and foremost. This applies whether one has 300 or 700hp. Of course, with 700hp, it's a bit more important since bad things happen so much faster.

Also very common is people's tendency to "upgrade" suspensions to cover up their inability to drive properly. It works to a point but eventually, when a mistake is made, it's going to be a bigger problem on a car that was cornering at a higher speed. This is why I (and many others) always suggest learning how to drive on a traction limited, softly sprung car. One will reach the cornering limits earlier and feel weight transfers more clearly. A softer sprung car will also teach a driver how to be more patient and smoother with steering/throttle/brake inputs. As much as I absolutely love my fully raced out (JRZ, bushings, links, lsd, axles, bars, etc,) 700hp 335, I get just as much fun as driving a 700hp stock suspension XI. It gives much less feedback and isn't nearly as quick but it still challenges you to drive properly. I always get nervous when people try to build the ultimate 335i with little or no performance driving experience. Because it takes a lot of experience to have fun (and not crash) in a fully raced out car. And learning on a car that like would be a big challenge. Much better to start off with something softer and less willing to change direction
Appreciate 0