View Single Post
      06-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

When I first moved to the Detroit area I lived up in Rochester near the Bavarian dealership. Only had two experiences with their service department, but they were both pretty positive. I know several people in the area who use this shop and seem to enjoy it.
1 - My 6FL adapter stopped working, replaced under warranty with one from their parts department. Took 10 minutes.
2 - Oil change/service, I waited and it took a little over an hour. Seemed like a long wait for service, but the car came out washed and ready to go so no complaints. They were very accommodating with scheduling the appointment.

Unfortunately we found a nice house in the west suburbs and now I'm about 10 minutes from Erhard Bloomfield. Over the past year I've been into their shop three times and each time I've left disappointed.

1 - Purchased the alarm retrofit from Tischer, ended up not having enough time to ever get around to the install so during a service appointment I asked Erhard Bloomfield to install that as well. Leave town for the weekend to let them do their work and chaos ensues (I wrote up a much longer post in the past...). Basically they tried to sell a new horn to me because I didn't purchase the kit from them and then I spent 2 weeks afterwards arguing with them about how the whole thing was A) wrong and B) poor customer service; in the end it actually cost me a $30 restocking fee and hours of frustration on a part I shouldn't have had to pay for in the first place.

2 - Seat belt tensioner failed, told me I needed to pay to replace it since the seats didn't belong to my car (reasonable; I did OEM sport seat retrofit) and they tried to charge me twice MSRP and 1.5 hours to install it. Managed to talk them down to MSRP and 1 hour, but I still have no idea why they think it would be alright to start with such outrageous prices in the first place...

3 - Second routine service with them, this time the car is at 32500 miles. While dropping off the car my SA gives me the extended maintenance brochure (car is CPO, so extended warranty purchase is off the table) telling me how it's "such a good deal and will save money in the long run." I tell him I'll go home, run the numbers and think about it. When I get the car back the next service indicator/oil change is oddly set to 18,000 miles (instead of 15,000) which puts my next oil change just after the expiration of the 50k mile new car service. I immediately call on the way home and my SA explains "Ohh we do that all the time here, the iDrive/computer will adjust it as you drive so that you get to the correct number eventually."
Now for my first service I vaguely remember it being set to 16k miles, but not sure if this is accurate so I decide to give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides I figure there is a record of the oil change at 32.5, so no matter what the computer says I'm figuring I can make an argument for a change at 47.5ish right before the service expiration anyways (anyone see a potential problem with this logic? Maybe I need to get more proactive on this issue). I'm only at ~36k now, but the computer is still saying 16k miles to an oil change.

Needless to say, if this service computer thing turns out to be more than just a simple misunderstanding that's three strikes for Erhard Bloomfield and I will be going somewhere else. I'm closer to Farmington Hills than Rochester, but I'm hesitant to go to another Erhard name (even if Bavarian is technically the same family). Unfortunately Ann Arbor is pretty far away, but it may turn out that's where I'm headed from now on.

Hope that helps someone.
Appreciate 0