05-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
gdnyc - javajaws has this mostly correct - the fuse tap allows you to add a device Up to 10 amps + the value of the original fuse. The original circuit had a 5 amp fuse - that is the fuse would blow if the device drawing current through it exceeded 5 amps. But the fuse holder that you are putting the tap into is a direct power draw from the electrical supply - if you put a 20 amp fuse into the slot, the slot would supply up to 20 amps and then the fuse would blow if the draw exceeded that. By using a 5 for the original Homelink/PDC circuit and a 1 or a 3 for the V1, the total current draw through the tap is only a maximum of 8 amps. The circuit is more than capable of that. The original circuit is still directly in line to the power source, think of the new circuit as being added along side of the original circuit, as if a new slot were installed into the fuse block.