10-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #53
Ted
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMad
I hope you're keeping the 911 when you get the 335 and then the M3!
I’m afraid not, much as I’d like a fleet of cars I can only justify the one, and it needs to get me to work everyday.

I swapped the M3 for the 911 about 18 months ago. I guess a few people will say I’m mad for changing the 911 for the 335 now, however I haven’t found the Porsche owning experience that great, combination of a car with issues and a dealer that seems unable to solve them. In fact the dealer has left me very unimpressed but that’s another story.

I had two E46 M3’s and found moving to the 911 quite a change, very little difference in the straight line performance but the handling on the 911 is just superb and in the wet the it is unstoppable, as a point to point driving tool I believe there is little to beat it for the money.

However, with my driving style, it eats tyres, pads, discs, fuel and has a fair few expenses to come so have recently been wondering if it is worth holding onto, so started looking at my options. I drove the E92 335i and just think it is a fantastic car for the money, I found straight line performance to be in the same league, the handling isn’t the same obviously but was certainly better than I was expecting. I believe the 335i comprises the best of both worlds of performance and everyday usability, well until the E92 M3 comes along anyway.

Once I take delivery I’ll post a few more of my thoughts on the differences between the E46 M3, 911 and 335, one test drive (with 3 occupants) wouldn’t do any of them justice.

Ed

Last edited by Ted; 10-30-2006 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0