E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Interesting idea. I've always wondered about steering ratios. People seem to go for lower/quicker ratios when given the option. What's the motivation? Just so you don't have to take a hand off the wheel to make a turn on the track? Or?

Quick sounds nice, but also, I don't wanna feel like I'm in a go-kart going 80 MPH. At what point is the ratio too quick? I also wonder why BMW put a slower rack in the xDrive. Someone at some point thought that was a good idea.
In the rwd bmws the rack is of course shorter and it helps a lot when turning, you don't have to move the wheel that much to get the car to turn a specific amount. I find myself hitting my body with my elbows way more often with the xdrive car than I did the rwd. It didn't feel like a go kart at higher speeds at all.

I think the reason the xdrive has a longer ratio is because with all the added components at the front they didn't want to make the steering heavier or wanted to make it easier on the power steering pump which is the same unit in all of these cars too.
Appreciate 0