03-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperture Vision View Post
I don't see it as being as "gloom and doom" as you make it out to be. BMW recommends a 100,000 trans fluid change and by changing fluid you will not be causing any damage. That's like saying, "if I change my oil, I may have a quick failure of the engine." Plus the trans pan gasket and/or mecktronic sleeve are notorious for leaking on these cars. It's not the greatest job to do, but if you have some mechanical knowledge, it can be done without going to the dealership.
Actually, there IS precedent for the "If you haven't done it in too long and you're not having any problems, it might not be worth chancing", for exactly the reason the poster above you mentioned. Google "Mike Miller's Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule", which is a fantastic document to have anyway, but he mentions the "first transmission fluid change at huge mileage" dilemma. He says he would probably chance it anyway, but he does acknowledge the risk.

And actually, the same logic probably WOULD apply to engine oil; it's just that your engine would have failed long before you racked up enough mileage to face the dilemma of a fluid flush introducing a new problem.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0