View Single Post
      10-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
So are you saying your fan isn't being supported at the bottom?
The lower fan shroud is not supported the way I did it. Seems to not want to move or slide down. So far. I was kind of puzzled by this aspect of the VRSF design, because it really does not fit at all into the lower OEM fan shroud.

The ETS the tab holders on the back of the FMIC were closer together so they slipped onto the inner flat edge of the lower fan shroud, between OEM tabs, and the OEM tabs are not engaged to support the shroud. So lower shroud is supported, but not by the tabs. The VRSF tab holders are right in line with the OEM tabs but they don't exactly fit them. The tabs are too long and the gap on the holders too narrow to let them fit inside. I looked at trimming the shroud tabs off, but the shape of the shroud there at the tabs still won't fit into the tab holders without basically destroying the lower shroud.

So the choice is either extensively trim off the lower fan shroud around the tabs, stick the untrimmed tabs into the holders and have a big gap on top once the FMIC screws are tightened, or don't bother putting the tabs into the holder. I did the latter. If the fan shroud shows signs of moving around I'll have to reevaluate.

Hard to explain without pics.

edit: sorry this just came to me. It is possible when you installed the FMIC you did put it as high up as it could go, but then when you re-installed the fan shroud now it is sitting higher than it was. As long as there is no interference that should be fine. If I see my shroud slipping I will try that. One other thing I noticed, the lower fan shroud does block a good portion of the rear of the FMIC, so I wonder if that might be something to address later on, making it bigger to cover the whole lower FMIC or trimming it open. Do not want to lose the suction aspect though.

Last edited by ajsalida; 10-05-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0