View Single Post
      10-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Faster steering response from our Xdrives?

We all know the 335xi/xdrive has a horrible steering response with its loose center feel and steering rack ratios that are pitiful. For this car to be a true AWD sports coupe something needs to be done. The 335i rack is better but still poor and the M3 Power Steering Rack and Pinion is better still but neither of those are direct replacements for xdrive racks due to the mounting tabs being on the opposite side and they are labor intensive and expensive. Anyone know of solutions? I found these Perrin Super Steer parts for the Sti and this would be perfect. Are these avail from any vendors. If not I would be first on the list with cash in hand to help get them developed. Here is a brief description, some links, and pics of what Perrin offers for the Sti.

"The PERRIN Super Steer system will make STI steering feel like an Evo with only 3 hours of work. The PERRIN Super Steer reduces the amount steering input needed to steer through corners making an STI feel crisp and responsive. The Super Steer bodies are the key what makes them work. The secret is how they change the steering racks leverage on your front hubs. Made from CNC'd 6061 aluminum, these pieces are overbuilt to ensure a lifetime of use. The Super Steer System includes new steering rack tie rod ends. Instead of us using heavy OEM type ends, PERRIN chose lighter and stronger spherical rod ends, and billet aluminum rod end adapters. For lowered STI's PERRIN's rod ends double as a ball joint extender allowing you to retain correct steering geometry, even at extreme ride heights. The PERRIN Super steer increases steering articulation and therefore needs new stops to limit wheel travel. Each kit includes two collars which create new stops for the steering rack, eliminating the possibility of tire contact with the body. Each stop is securely locked in place with 4 bolts eliminating any possibility of failure. The hardware included with every Super Steer System is all "over built" and over speced for a lifetime of use. All rod ends come pre adjusted to OEM spec so you can drive safely to your alignment shop.."

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7709c067.jpg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0