View Single Post
      01-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #59
gjdavies
Rep
Drives: E90 320d (in 3 months :-()

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Oh hey, obviously not, because, you know, I didn't watch the whole keynote, right?
You obviously missed Mr Jobs comment about the European launch being Q4 07. It was there...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
10:48am - "When's it going to be available? We're shipping them in June -- we're announcing it today because we have to go get FCC approval... we thought it'd be better to introduce this today rather than let the FCC introduce this.
Europe in the 4th quarter of this year, Asia in 2008. "We've chosen Cingular."

"They're going to be our exclusive partner in the US -- it's a unique partnership though. We're going to be doing innovation together. We worked on visual voicemail, the first fruit of this collaboration. We'll be selling iPhone through our own stores and Cingular stores."
And, pretty sure he said 3G was coming too, but can't find that now. At the end of the day, it will come, as will a video calling version. The European/Asian market is too large to not develop a product carrying these features.

Engadget have a nice transcript:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/l...-jobs-keynote/

It is likely they will partener with one or two operators per country, with a bididng war to see who gets it first, as they will likley get at least 6 months exclusivity for the product.

Greeney, completely agree. I bet it's a power consumption thing. WCDMA is a complete bitch when it ccomes to battery life. Probably would have had to seriously inccrease the size of the handset to geet 3G on board with a reasonably good talk time. Apple wouldn't do that as they are the design whores of the CE industry (not that that is a bad thing as I type on my MacbookPro!) and have in this instance compromised some function in order to deliver a lot of form!

xxpaintmepunkxx, why did you not think the rest of the world would get this version? Think it was a US only thing? I do agree that Europe/Asia may get a WCDMA version before the US, but I think it is unlikley given the GSM thing hasn't even hit the FCC yet. Even if they do release a 3G version, it'll go through the same approvals for a worldwide availability.
Appreciate 0