View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #69
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
How is it a design flaw? The flaw with the serpentine belt is not with the belt itself, it's with the engine mount that is lose, which cases the belt to hit grind and slip which causes more damage.

Beside, the belt is not really in question.

the OP was provided advice regarding the major leak, if I had to guess a leak from both the engine valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing, both pretty common. The Oil may have (speculating) leaked on to the belt and caused it to slip and snap in the drive train.

The root of the case was the "Leak" not the belt, had the leak been addressed as advised by the tech, the end result would not have happened.

Best method is to contact BMW NA, explain the situation and that you are very unhappy that their product did not last the intended 50k miles, and you are requesting that BMW cover the damage. Be nice about it. They may help you out.

Otherwise, contact the Insurance company and see if you can do another course of action. 15k for a engine is way too much and for that you can buy a totaled m3 and do a transplant :P
You assume that the cause of the failure is lack of oil. I agree that driving with low to no oil is a bad idea. But he was told that his leak was small and should make it about month. The OP also makes no mention of low oil lights. He also states that the failure of his engine was diagnosed to be a belt being sucked into his engine and not oil starvation.

And yes I know that the problem with the serpentine belt is attributed to the engine mounts.

We're all making hypotheses based on limited information. The final diagnosis will be made at a later date. That is the day when you might be able to shout "I told you". if it matters that much to you. Lol
Appreciate 0