View Single Post
      12-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I'm moving to SoCal and I'm thinking about getting the express lane fasktrak.. read up on it.
If you want to get anywhere near L.A. on the 110, it's a MUST.

Quote:
First and foremost, it's a pilot program to see if it's effective at reducing commute times in majorly congested freeway areas. It's not permanent at this time.
Well all the permanent signage sure makes it seem more than temparary. They've been running it in a "diagnostic" mode for awhile before they finally changed all the carpool signs to "HOV" signage.

Quote:
There are three settings for the fasktrak:
1) Solo Driver
2) Two person car pool
3) Three+ person car pool (assumed the lowest rates as well)
Correct

Quote:
You can absolutely leave your fastrak in mode #2, however there are cameras which will take photos every so often,
If this is true they would have to shoot into the vehicle in a way to see all the seats. This is impossible as you could in no way see a small child say, behind the driver seat. The camera system is both too falible as well as too easily challenged as such IMO. I haven't noticed cameras btw other than the possibility of them on the overhead transponder recievers that flash whenever you drive under them (I suspect taking a picture of a rear license plate when it doesn't register a transponder in the vehicle)

Quote:
along with check points in which your transponder will check in with fastrak for additional fees if any, not to mention in their video they mention the CHP very frequently, so I'm guessing they will heavily watch for violators as its free money for the entity.
On average I see 1-2 cop cars travelling the length of the monitored lane(s). Half of those are actual CHP. The other half are city cops or sheriffs heading somewhere and not likely to pull you over regardless.

Quote:
I gather the violation will be equivalent or higher than the carpool violation fee ($280+?).
Last I saw it was $430. But the question still remains. Is there any actual VC or statute being violated? (topic for another conversation)

Quote:
Also, if the speeds in the express lane(s) drop below 45 mph, overhead signs will warn you, and the lane will convert back to carpool only, until the speeds pick up again.
Haven't seen this happen but I don't really travel it during "peak" rush hour traffic. Also, I don't think enough people have the transponders yet to even merit such a thing.

Quote:
Fastrak.. win?
Appreciate 0