View Single Post
      10-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

A real disaster…..
I detailed my M3 to take friends out for their 5th wedding anniversary. I drive up to the restaurant in Dana Point, CA and ask the valet if I can park the car some place. “Sure just put it near the end of the lot and leave the key.” So I pick a nice location and off to dinner. After dinner I take the valet out to my car for a lesson to show him how to use the M-DCT transmission. We pull up in front of the restraint to pickup my wife and friends. I walk around to the passenger side WHAT!!!! The great blue herons that we had been watching during dinner covered the passenger door and quarter panel.

Short drive home and I wash off the car about 9:00 pm. Then I decide that a little drive will dry the car faster (any excuse to drive the new car). About two blocks later BAM! on the carbon fiber roof that sounds like a brick, I pull over to check and there is only more water on the roof, but the “roof rack attachment door is missing”!! So I make a U-turn and go back to where I was hit, you guessed it with a water balloon from high on a hill side. There were many broken balloons on the street and still more flying from up high. I called the police (who did not show) and searched in the dark for the “attachment door”.

About $90.00 later… I had to order the filler strip and clips for the driver side. I found the “attachment door” with out the hinge pins the next morning; it was sheared off by the water pressure. I will post pictures and procedure after changing in the M3 DIY section.
Appreciate 0