View Single Post
      02-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #359
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89andy View Post
I want to know what I can do to make my car look better if I do not have a polishing machine. Right now I'm thinking all I can really do without a polishing machine is a wash > clay > sealant > wax? What else can I do to minimize/hide some of the swirl marks (don't have much because I always properly follow the correct way to wash the car). My car is metallic black.

Finally I would also like to know before I do this detail, do I need to strip my car of old wax? Because starting from spring I want to do a wash > wax routine every month or so. Do I need to remove wax before I rewax the car everytime? Thanks.
Andy,

The routine you outlined looks pretty good. To help hide the imperfections without removing them with an abrasive polish, you could turn to a glaze to help hide and fill in some of the lighter swirls and imperfections. Glazes typically have clay and oil based fillers that will attach themselves to the dips and valleys (swirls and scratches) to help give the appearance of better looking paint. A good glaze to use under a sealant is Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze. You help prolong the durability of the glaze by topping it with a sealant as you said. The wax will help enhance the depth and gloss of the paint. Remember, for optimal durability and results, let your sealant cure for 24 hours before applying the a second coat or topping it with the wax. What I usually recommend is to perform the wash > clay > glaze > sealant. Then a week (or few days) later, wash your car and top it with the wax for the first time. This way your sealant will properly cure and you'll get the maximum durability out of your glaze and sealant.

I'd recommend stripping your previous coats of protection to ensure maximum results before your first major detail. I'd recommend giving your vehicle a wipe down with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. This will break down any sealant or wax still remaining on your paint. As you wash and clay it will make sure that nothing else is left on your paint and you'll be starting with a fresh base.

If you have any other questions or need a hand selecting some products, please do not hesitate to ask.

Keep us posted on what you end up using and how things turn out for you.

George
Appreciate 0