View Single Post
      04-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Classic M still putting down great numbers!! 3.6 0-60

I thought this was worth a thread here.

My favorite sedan of all time, the e39 M5, is still amazing me to this day. Last Friday Adam and I went down to MIR (Maryland International Raceway) in search of the world record for the e39 M5 on the 1/4 mile.

He needed to break off a 11.78 1/4 mile run or better to make that happen.

His car is a pristine sub 60k mile example with a ESS s/c running ~8psi, Dinan rear diff, BB exhaust, Brembo BBK on all 4 corners, Fikse's w ps2's.....everything is pretty much stock. Ground Control coilovers are in the garage waiting to be installed

I've had the pleasure of working on the car with him over the past 2 years or so.

Adam after several weeks of trying to figure out what was causing a massive power loss in the higher revvs....turned out to be a collapsing intake tube that was choking the engine.

=======================

To the track

street wheels/tires off, Dinan wheels w Nitto 555r's on

cooling down after our 1.5 hour trip

He had a tough time getting use to the new clutch pickup point but finally started to get it right. Traction was NOT an issue, he actually never spun the entire day, probably had a mid to low 1.6x 60 ft in the car but never saw it.

He finally nailed a 1.73 60 ft and here was the result

^ this run resulted in a 3.6 0-60 spring according to the vbox!!! Thats in a manual tranny 4,000lb cruiser!! Well done M division, even today its still a hell of a car (with the added hp of course)

Followed up by this w a worse 60 ft

then he nailed a 1.70 60 ft and this was the result, he only needed to drop .05 seconds for the record, dropping .03 in the 1st 60 ft would almost guarantee that happening!

bah!!! DAMN

he'll be back for more, i'm sure he'll end up being the quickest e39 M5 in the world this year. Meth is in the plans, heatsoak kills him up top with no inter/aftercooler setup