Rep
Drives: BMW 335d (E90)

Garage List
2009 R1200RT  [0.00]
2009 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistu View Post
Hi

I have a 335d, turbos go the whole time, I would certainly follow the guidelines re run in, however don't get too paranoid.
My car definately warms up, but very quickly, I always use the heater as a guide if your getting hot air in the cabin - its warm, and then I give it a few more minutes, however the good news is with a 335d its so powerful you hardly need more than 3000 rpm...

Cheers
stu
I don't think the heater is a reliable source, since that uses the cooling fluent. IMO oil temp should be OK before you start to push.

It was explained to me that valves in the cooling system make sure there is a short circuit that heats up quickly and enables the interior to warm up soon after drive off. It than gradually lets in fluent of the bigger circuit until all of the fluent is at operating temp.

Considering that my dealer didn't bother to tell me to run it in and since there are no gauges for water and oil temp, it soes not seem terribly important to BMW. Probably because it is such a torquee engine and nobody has a need to high rev it under normal road circumstances. You can be very quick without high reving.

Bottom line: it's a theoretical issue.