View Single Post
      08-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #16
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
I have that exact same nav unit waiting for my car; did you install it yourself? Do the steering wheel controls work?
Yes I did and yes, they do.
But you´ll be up for some surprises during the install. The steering wheel controls are the easiest part. The electrics are a problem. For example: The power line is shut off 30 Minutes after the car is locked. So a non-factory radio will loose all settings.
And mechanical: The radio surrounding is a genuine BMW part and yet it won´t fit unless you take out the complete bracket behind it and modify it with a saw.
But first: to get the factory unit out, you´ll have to get the climate controls out and that is a pain. The first time took me two hours.

Welll, I guess the whole affair took me about 10 hourse to iron out all the wrinkles. But at least, doning it myself meant I know that it´s now done proper.
And then there´s the story where I soldered in 68 new SMD-LED´s to make the Becker units display colour match the other displays of the car (orange while the Becker usually comes in red)....
Appreciate 0