06-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #395
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Alpine MRD-M300, a bit older digital amp. Almost all its options are defeated as MS-8 is doing all the "thinking"

The underseats are powered by four channels of my XD600/6
Since the XD600/6 doesn't have a pass-through, you can only do it with a y-splitter RCA.

Quote:
I've noticed on the first sweep the underseats play, on successive sweeps only the sub plays. Weird.
The first sweep is for time alignment, so every channel sweeps separately, except the sub, which is not measured. The consequent sweeps are for auto-tuning, and the underseat woofers sweep at the same time as the door speakers, since it is 2-way. The sub receives its own sweep.

Quote:
There has GOT to be a better way...we shouldn't accept JBL's do it our way/set it and forget it mentality if we end up having to trick the system in the process.
VP and Technic both claim to have done it. However, I have done hundreds of calibrations and I have not been able to get great subbass AND great midbass, without using the workaround.

It seems the sweeps from a small sealed sub enclosure are perhaps too peaky, and it messes with the results, especially when the sweeps from under the seats are peaky as well. Since MS-8 supposedly matches levels to the sweep peaks, I can easily see how the autotune EQ will quickly run run out of steam, as it may not have enough headroom available to properly match the "valleys" as well. And if that is what is going on, then the problem is not caused by the processor, but rather by the application.