Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummvee2134
Hey folks,

Still a little new here, but i'm about to really get my feet wet.

I just ordered the stock turbo replacement. My wastegates are loose to the point of no return so i opted for a set of fresh turbos.

I've done a bit of research from the bentley manual and forums and i think i'm pretty well prepared to get this job done. I do, however, have a few questions/concerns...

1. I'm really worried about the condition of the exhaust manifold bolts/studs on my car. I was under there yesterday and those guys are looking pretty rusty (i live in new england btw). Has anyone broken these guys off in the head and had to deal with extraction or are they usually more compliant than they look? I'm worried that if i break one off, i'm going to have to take the head off to extract them. I'd really really like to be able to do this job in a weekend.

2. How long realistically does this job take? I'm a fairly expierenced shade tree mechanic. I'm planning on doing this in my garage on jack stands. I have an XI and i'm also replacing the oil pan gasket so i'm going to have to deal with dropping the front diff and pan. I'm thinking a friday, saturday and sunday would be more than enough time if i'm starting early and staying organized?

Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to get some pictures up once i get this job underway.
I wouldn't get new turbos. I would send them to this guy.

He can refurb them for about $750.00 or less from what I have read.

Get some Kroil oil soak them overnight, and you won't have a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F...YML&ref=plSrch

An air gun is really handy for taking things off, but don't ever use it to put things on.

Dewalt makes a sweet one for about $110.00. At least that's what I paid. Lowes sell them, if want one like "now".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OK...dewalt+air+gun
Appreciate 0