Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i thought on the new bimmers you don't have have to blip the gas b/c it rev matches for you, no?
nope. Manual transmissions have not changed much since the 30's. They have synchnronizers that do the rev-matching, but that means the synchros are wearing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I got a question. When you park the car, do you shut it off in neutral or in gear? Sometimes when i park on hills i put it in first gear and pull the handbrake because i can feel the handbrake struggling to hold the car. Any opinions?
You should have it in 1st, 2nd, or R gear when you park. Handbrake should not be relied on to hold the car, especially on hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by checuervo View Post
+1 ... but it sounds like from that earlier post we're not doing it right.

Someone lay some knowledge on me!
not enough, i posted a reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by nub340 View Post
- Don't ride the clutch! That means take your foot COMPLETELY off the clutch pedal when your not clutching. Good habit to keep your foot on the foot rest when not clutching.

- Don't use the clutch to keep the car from rolling backwards. Luckily the newer Bims have the Hill Start Assistant to help us out, but it doesn't kick in unless the grade is steep enough. If you're on a slight hill, our cars WILL slowly roll backwards. Use the brakes!
Which reminds me: for those who have trouble with hills you can use one of the following:

1. Pull e-brake, put in gear, and start releasing clutch while giving gas. Right before the gear engages, release your e-brake
2. if you are experienced enough just let it roll for a little bit and take off as usual giving more gas
3. bmw hill assist sucks IMO, coz i love the feeling of falling back might be a good thing to have though

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
Mantis would you ask your friend about the technique i used above and what he thinks about it.
LOL
Appreciate 0