NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
Hi NFS

Think we can compare notes on this subject, having had my 330i M Sport for a similar length of time to yourself

I haven't done as many miles as you but after breaking the 1,000 mile barrier I felt happier to push the car hard in gear to the 7,000 rpm red line ... and boy oh boy does the engine sound sweet.

It certainly has that metallicy rasp to it when you blip the throttle at idle and when you are travelling in the car the note from 4,000 rpm onwards is nothing short of wonderful ... I love it.

If you wanna cruise on the motorway, it will waft you along whisper quiet and in great comfort .. the cabin is a great place to be and all the materials you touch and communicate with like the steering wheel, gear stick and hand brake lever all feel "just right" and have fantastic quality leather.

BUT ... if you wanna have some fun ... from a standing start of accellerating away from junctions or roundabouts etc, you can floor the gas pedal and you're off like a bullet, with that engine note roaring on in the back ground, making you think you're in a race car.

I did the Palmersport event last week and after being in their cars all day and hearing all the race prepared engines and exhuast notes ... I must admit to NOT feeling disappointed at getting into my car to drive home.

The 330i "really does" have a note similar to some the Palmer race cars, when pushed, but boy did the M Sport feel comfortable with it, after all those bucket / moulded seats

I have had a few people comment on the car now, and all positive.

The colour Sparkling graphite has grown on me even more .. and the more I wash it, the shinier it is appearing to get (got the paint sealant treatment).

I keep finding new little things too ...

Like: how great the MP3 stereo system is ... the unit actuallu displays your track titles ... which makes MP3 better than regular cd's in the car .. and with me speccing the 6 disc boot changer, I have access to LOADS of albums.

The rear lights look amazing at night .. have you seen how they illuminate ?

I just thought they followed the outline of the lenses, but no, they are a cool 3 line arrangement, which you can see in the day if you look closely ... but at night how they light up looks cool .. and I like that kinda thing

Plus the illiminated door handles and subtle red lights inside the car at night whivh ever so slightly light up the gear stick area.

As you can probably see, I am delighted with the car, it looks, goes and handles brilliantly and I have nothing but praise thus far.

Just one thing, last night was a tad slippery on the roads and I felt the DSC kick in and the back end kick out slightly as I gave it a little too much gas .. so I guess thats a reminder to take it a bit easier now we are into the winter weather with what is still a reasonably powerful Rear wheel drive car.

My only problem is those alloys ... boy they are stunning to look at, but take a while to clean at a weekend I have bought an alloy wheel brush from Halford now though, to reach into the back areas of the wheels, as those openings in the alloys are "just" too small to get your hand in properly ... but the effort is worth it as I love the design.

Oh and yes the fuel mpg is a joke ... but i don't care
I agree totally. Although on the lights - I actually bought the black lines from Chris 33 after being tempted into it at the UK meet.

The wheels are a pig to clean. I have to admit I haven't bothered with the 'back' of the rim as you just can't get to it. But I have had a good go at the accessible bits with a wheelbrush - they look so much nicer when clean.

I find the DSC is less intrusive than in the 5 series. It does permit a bit of slide and wheelspin - which is nice. My only grumble is when it activates on a bumpy road - annoying if you are trying to get the power down.

It does give that racing car feel that you're talking about. How did you get on at Palmersport.

These are my times from the last visit - nowhere near the top of the group. But still an improvement from my first try, which is what I wanted to achieve:

FPA: 1:19.890 / Top speed 110.8mph (I really want one)
JP1: 80.45
Clio Cup Racer: 40.52 (I stuffed it up)
Porsche 911 JP3: 76.5
Caterham 7 Superlight: 52.26
Nissan 350z: 40.66
Go Karts: 30.00
Nissan Pathfinder: 36 (whatever)
Appreciate 0