08-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredwine View Post
I just changed the coolant in my 2007 328i. The old coolant is brown-looks like apple cider-no oil in it, no foam, doesn't smell odd. When I looked at it before (as in checking specific gravity with a bulb type tester), it was blue-green-the factory coolant color. Over the last 22 months I've had the car, I have added maybe a pint or two of green coolant and distilled water. Has anybody seen this before? Does the BMW "lifetime" coolant just turn brown with age? It doesn't look like rust, by the way-not really cloudy and not that color. Rust would be unlikely in a magnesium and aluminum engine anyway.

Thanks-love my car, BTW-6 speed with sport package.
The "green" you put in *might* be incompatible with the factory G-48. It might be that blue + enough green = brown. You may have something else in the system breaking down and forming some sediment.

Has Redline WaterWetter or any other similar product ever been in the system?

I'll say it for the benefit of anyone listening - NEVER, EVER put Waterwetter in BMW (or any other G-48) coolant. The WW reacts with the G-48 and precipitates a brown, greasy deposit inside the cooling system and floating in the e-tank.
Appreciate 0