04-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #350
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Eric, I did the test for you. Caveat is that I don't have the 6FL cable, but with my Apple cable, here's what happened:

Open car door and gently place my taught behind into the beautiful lemon seat...

Open center console... observe iPod. Mr. iPod is dark.
A second later... Mr. iPod wakes up and light comes on.

USB power must be on the same circuit as the interior lighting, etc. It probably stays hot until the car goes into sleep mode.
Confirmed with 6FL cable!

I left the IPod out of the center armrest...locked the car...came back about 45 minutes later to see that the IPod was completely off. I unlocked the door...nothing. I opened the door...IPod woke up. I'm glad to know that the IPod will not remain on...or worse yet...drain my battery.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I got to use the IPod for about 4 hours today on a trip from Lakenheath to London's Gatwick Airport to pick up my sister.

One of the things I noticed is that there is no option to go directly to Podcasts. You have to look them up via the Album menu on the stereo screen. Not a big deal...but you have to know what your looking for when you start to scroll through the list.

Speaking of the list...I noticed that the stereo doesn't go into "turbo" mode like the IPod does. Anyone notice how your IPod (I have a 5th Gen...60GB Video BTW) will scroll quickly through lists (like albums) and display the letter of the alphabet to help you stop? Not that I would expect the BMW stereo to do that for me...but if you want to get to an album that starts with letter M...your going to be cranking the small wheel on the stereo for a little while.

For me personally...Playlists are the way to go. I like to listen to a select number of songs from a certain artist instead of the whole album. Narrowing down those songs I like and putting them on a playlist is the way to go for me. Also...having playlists reduces the number of items I have to scroll through to get to the music I want to listen to. I only have about 8GB of music on the IPod.

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0