View Single Post
      07-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sell the E92... I personally never understood buying a car and then having to live so tight on a budget for everything else in your life (esp if you have a fam and other priorities). I love cars more than anyone... but there are plenty of fun cars to be had that don't cost as much as an E92. Go get a E36 M3, learn how to wrench (e.g. don't take it to a mechanic for simple maintenance E36's are easy to work on) - use extra money to live your life and enjoy time with your growing family. E36 M3s can be had for sub-$10k anymore in decent condition.

In terms of not wrapping your tool... I don't know what to say about that. I'm 26 and am not married and have no kids. Have a longer term girlfriend (~2 years) and am living my life how I want to at the moment. Not personally looking for kids till I'm at least 30.

Everyone is different though, so live your life the way you want to, and enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks. Don't live your life to make other people happy; live your life to make you and your fam happy.

Edit:

And understand your wife is preggers at the moment.. but she needs to get a job sometime after the birth of the second kid. Though her salary will probably need to be weighed against the cost of day-care. In my area day-care is $$$. If she would make less than it takes to cover day-care then she could stay at home till the kids go to school... but it sounds like you need both incomes to really support your family.

Also do you have any idea what you'll use your undergrad degree for? Can you start trying to get experience or making connection to make it possible to get a better job once you're done? Should have done engineering... starting salaries are easily 50-60k minimum out of your undergrad. Too many college-aged people in the US like non-technical degrees these days... but that issue is a whole different can of worms. The US isn't going to be able to make or design anything innovative in the future at the rate US college students choose non-math or science related degrees (I digress).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Mid 6 figures here... can never seem to get ahead. Fuckin broke most of the time.

Money doesn't equal jack shit. Piece of mind and being happy with who you are are priceless.
Isn't this the truth (to some degree).. salary and location. 6 figures in some areas is the norm for just paying for monthly bills. I live in the DC area and while it's not the most expensive area in the US... 6 figures here is a helluva lot different then my home town back in PA. DC area you can get a mortgage on a 2- bedroom condo for what a good size single family house with a 2 / 3 car garage would go for in parts of PA.

That said, if you are making 6 figures and are still living pay check to pay check... you are living in over your head. I'd get roommates or sell my car (or never have even bought it in the first place!) if I was living pay check to pay while making 6 figures.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold

Last edited by fitchesbass; 07-05-2012 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0