View Single Post
      06-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Very interested to see what this will look like as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
This is very exciting. I have a few questions maybe some of those more familiar with racing can answer.

With M3 production ending soon, how does this affect the current M3 running in DTM for 2012? Surely they wouldn't run the old M3 when the new one is announced. Or would they?

ALMS - the M3 has been doing great in the American LeMans Series with the NA V8. When the new turbo M3 is released, BMW will HAVE to use the 6 cylinder turbo engine right? They can not run with the current V8 unless its considered a "production vehicle". They have had similar issues in the past when they ran the V8 E46 M3 GTRs. They swept 1-2 wins but did not use a production engine so there were some problems.

Any insight from more seasoned ALMS and DTM fans would be greatly appreciated.
I am by no means an expert on this matter, but as for the ALMS/GT cars, since there will be a MY 2012 M3 I would assume there will be no issues with the M3 GT car for next year. But a lot of the rumors around the tracks is that BMW was going to leave the GT racing after this year or next. So I’m not sure the engine type would even be an issue. My personal feelings are that I love watching the M3s fight it out with the Corvettes, Porsches, and Ferraris in the ALMS and Le Mans Series in Europe. I think it is some of the best racing on the planet right now and for BMW to be able to say they beat Ferraris and Porsches at the 12 hours of Sebring this year that should be a nice feather in their cap. If we are lucky enough that they return to GT racing in 2012 I think they should give the Rahal Letterman Team from the ALMS a shot at the 24 hours of Le Mans!
Appreciate 0