Thread: 335i to a 330d
View Single Post
      11-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #47
JZ69
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 DCT

I had an LCI 330d Msport E90 with an autobox. I loved the engine but hated the slushbox. The engine had huge torque which was perfect for the M25, and I drove it fairly hard and got an average of 42 mpg. On a long run taking it easy I saw 56 mpg and so typical usage for me saw 500 per tank.

On song, the engine sounded like a truck (but in a good way) and the 6 cylinder diesel hum is much more pleasant than a 4 cylinder diesel rattle, even though 318/320d's are among the best available 4 pot denzels today. But the sound of the engine was never exciting.

What did I trade it in for? An LCI M3 DCT saloon. Simply the greatest car I have ever had the pleasure to own. Sure, my petrol costs are almost double my diesel costs, but for a 4.0 litre V8 on a long run I have seen 28mpg, so not that bad. The £435 per YEAR road tax is small beans compared to the big picture as is the fuel economy in reality. For example, people get their knickers in a twist over paying for Premium unleaded. In reality its £3 per tank difference, so does that REALLY affect your wallet when you drive a Bimmer?

I have NO regrets about going for the M3. The DCT box is a world away from the auto box in the 330 and the wider track and EDC of the M3 actually make the motorway ride more relaxing. The M3 is less darty than the MSport models and rides better on the motorway on EDC and normal Michelins than the MSport suspension on RFT's.

But one thing I will happily pay money for is the sound. The V8 scream has to be heard to be believed. That and the hydraulic steering, which is much better than the Efficient Dynamics electric steering on the 330 (possibly the reason behind the motorway 'dartiness'). Not only that, but the interior is nicer with far more comfortable seats. The rear offest has to be seen and the overall agressive stance of the M3 is sexy as hell. Not only that, but by design, the V8 runs rough for the first couple of minutes. Its sounds like a Spitfire when it starts, all grumpy and spitting neat fuel out of the rear. At least, that's how it sounds. It has SO much character.

In short, the money you will save will be lost in the purchase of the new car. Drive something that makes you smile. The money is relatively unimportant at this level of purchasing. Sure a 318d will be much cheaper to run than an M3, but the real world cost of 330d vs 335i is not so great as to be worthwhile.

For me, if they did an M3 Touring, it would be my perfect car....
Appreciate 0